, 2022-12-19 05:46:53,
Charlotte sports had a year. Just when you’d think things couldn’t get any weirder, there was always another proverbial “hold my beer” moment.
Here’s a look at Charlotte’s 10 most ridiculous (and shocking and delightful) sports moments from 2022, both on and off the field.
Of note: This list is through Dec. 19, and with more than a week left, something crazy could still happen.
1. Tepper vs. Rock Hill
Work stopped on the Carolina Panthers headquarters in March, and legal volleys began flying back and forth, but things seem to be winding down after a tense legal battle.
- A federal judge signed a bankruptcy settlement on the morning of Dec. 16, which would give the title to the site to the city of Rock Hill. GT Real Estate (Panthers owner David Tepper’s real estate arm) will pay York County $21 million and contractors receive $60 million.
2. You’re fired
All three of Charlotte’s major league head coaches were fired within six months: Charlotte Hornets’ James Borrego in April, Charlotte FC’s Miguel Ángel Ramírez in May and Panthers’ Matt Rhule in October.
- Borrego took the Hornets to their first winning season since 2015-16, but couldn’t get the team to the playoffs during his four-year stint in Charlotte. The Hornets brought Steve Clifford back over the summer.
- Ramírez couldn’t connect with his players and was sacked less than a year on the job. Interim head coach Christian Lattanzio replaced him and ultimately was named permanent head coach.
- Rhule was Tepper’s first head coaching hire, but neither of them have seen a winning season here. Charlotte native Steve Wilks is currently serving as interim head coach.
The Charlotte 49ers Will Healy was fired after going 1-7 to start the season. He’s been replaced by Michigan’s associate head coach, Biff Poggi.
Yes, but: Turnover wasn’t limited to coaches; a number of executives departed the front office too, many from TSE, including former TSE president Tom Glick, TSE CEO Nick Kelly, TSE COO Mark Hart and Charlotte FC technical director Marc Nicholls, to name a few.
3. Charlotte is a soccer city
Our sports scene can be ridiculous in a good way, like Charlotte FC’s inaugural season (minus a few hiccups). Charlotte…
To read the original article, go to Click here