Be captivated by Tāmaki Makaurau: 50 fantastic fun and free things to do this summer
, 2022-12-22 17:01:35,
Summer is the season when Tāmaki Makaurau really shines. With it having been a tough year for many of us, a summer of quality time with friends and whānau – and don’t forget our four-legged friends – will be the perfect remedy for weary bones, and Auckland is the perfect place to do that. To provide some inspiration for the warm longer days, here are 50 free activities from across the region for you to enjoy a fun-filled summer in Tāmaki Makaurau.
1. Enjoy a BBQ under the pōhutukawa trees at Wenderholm, Auckland’s first and oldest Regional Park, followed by a game of frisbee on the white sand beach at low tide.
2. Have hours of fun with the comprehensive collection of Māori recreational elements at the brand new whānau ātea (family space) at the foot of Te Pane o Mataoho / Te Ara Pueru / Māngere Mountain.
3. Take in the stunning free public art downtown, from Michael Parekōwhai’s the Lighthouse on Queen’s Wharf to Michio Ihara’s Wind Tree at Wynyard Quarter (visit aucklandpublicart.com).
4. Explore Devonport’s missing maunga at Mt Cambria Reserve and then discover local history at the Devonport Museum at the base of the maunga.
5. View the beautiful artwork at the Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, including the incredible Goldie and Lindauer paintings. This summer there is also the amazing Robin White exhibition to be wowed by. Be sure to take in the Creative Learning Centre with the kids for plenty of art-inspired craft activities too.
6. Get lost in a literary adventure with one of the Top 100 books from Auckland Council Libraries under the shade of a tree in your local park.
7. Discover the Te Auaunga / Oakley Creek Walkway and take in the visual delight of NZ’s highest urban waterfall.
8. Explore the rock pools and the creatures that call those pools home at Tāwharanui Regional Park. Please leave everything as you find it though as it’s a marine reserve.
9. Get dancing with big band swing and Te Reo jazz for free at the Auckland Domain band rotunda as part of Music in Parks.
10. Lounge under the stars and take in a free summer blockbuster in a local park with Movies in Parks.
11. Keep the kids cool with the Potters Park splash pad before taking in the incredible “Boy Walking” public art piece by Ronnie van Hout.
12. Take in…
To read the original article, go to Click here
Private Internet Access gives you unparalleled access to thousands of next-gen servers in over 83 countries and each US state. Your VPN experience will always be fast, smooth, and reliable.