, 2023-04-10 11:46:00,
The bad news: Mobile County’s Chickasabogue Park isn’t going to fully reopen anytime soon. The good news: County leaders just approved nearly $7 million for the next phase of the park’s refurbishment, and there are hints of a partial reopening.
At its Monday meeting, the Mobile County Commission approved a $6.9 million bid by J Hunt Enterprises. The park has been closed since January 2022; according to the county, work that has taken place since then includes an overhaul of water, sewer and power utilities that is nearly complete, and a “large-scale renovation” of the disc golf trail that should be finished in the next two or three weeks.
The newly approved contract covers “demolition and construction of the existing entry area, upgrades to existing amenities like bike trails and basketball courts, and construction of new parking areas,” according to a county new release issued Monday. The release also said that “A new splash pad, restroom facilities and construction of a large pavilion are key features during this phase.”
At 1,100 acres, the park is the county’s biggest. Its popularity is fueled by its location on I-10 just north of Mobile and by the range of activities it accommodates. Features include RV and tent camping, athletic fields, a boat launch, a beach, mountain bike trails, an extensive disc golf course and more.
When it was closed at the end of January 2022, county leaders said they expected the work to take at least a year. But it and other parks projects “are experiencing delays related to supply chain, materials, labor and increased construction costs,” said the county statement.
“Chickasabogue Park has long been considered the crown jewel of Mobile County parks,” District 1 Commissioner Merceria Ludgood said in the county release. “It is frustrating for everyone that this and other major Mobile County construction and renovation projects are slower than anticipated and we sincerely appreciate everyone’s patience as we work to build this park and a Mobile County Parks System of which we can all be proud.”
The construction contract approved Monday sets a nine-month timetable for the latest phase of work. However, the county statement said that after the entrance demolition and construction have progressed “enough to ensure visitor safety,” a partial reopening will follow. Areas of active construction will be blocked off.
A reopening date will be announced “as soon as available,” said the county statement.
To read the original article from www.al.com, Click here