, 2023-03-20 10:52:21,
Shelby-Utica is a place like no other. And whether you grew up here, recently moved to the area or you’re just an occasional visitor, you know that Shelby-Utica has its own special traditions and history that make it so unique.
A few things to know:
- A man named Joseph Stead laid out modern-day Utica as the city of “Harlow” in 1829, known as “Hog’s Hollow” or “McDougalville” to locals. After a few years, settlers from New York gave the city its current name to pay homage to the city of the same name in their home state.
- Did you know that Utica is home to the country’s oldest operating hardware store? Opened in 1865, Yates Cider Mill and Yates Store have been serving the community with their famous cider, donuts and hardware needs for over 150 years. Stop by for a taste of history and some delicious treats.
- Shelby is a great destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Stony Creek Metropark covers over 4,400 acres and offers hiking trails, biking paths, a beach and camping facilities. If you’re looking to get away from the city and enjoy nature, this is the perfect place to do so.
- If you’re a fan of craft beer, you’ll want to check out Sherwood Brewing Company. They have a rotating selection of over 20 beers on tap, including seasonal and limited edition brews. Grab a pint, sit back and enjoy the cozy atmosphere of this local brewery.
- Shelby is home to the Packard Proving Grounds Historic Site, where luxury automobiles were tested and developed from 1927 to 1958. Today, the site is open to the public for tours, events and weddings. Take a step back in time and explore the history of the Packard Motor Car Company.
- Utica hosts an annual festival called Gasoline Alley, celebrating the city’s automotive heritage. The festival features classic cars, live music, food vendors and a craft show. Bring the family and enjoy a day of fun and nostalgia.
- If you’re looking for a unique shopping experience, check out the Utica Antiques Market. With over 100 vendors, you’ll find everything from vintage clothing to antique furniture to rare collectibles. It’s a great place to hunt for treasures and unique finds.
- Shelby is known for its beautiful parks, and River Bends Park is one of the best. The park offers hiking trails, picnic areas, a disc golf course and stunning views of the Clinton River. It’s a great spot for a family outing or a peaceful nature walk.
- The city is home to the Utica Community Schools, which is one of the largest school districts in Michigan.
- If you’re looking…
To read the original article from patch.com, Click here