Flagstaff Awardees Chosen for 2023 Neighborhood Sustainability Grant
, 2023-01-16 15:28:37,
Article audio is made possible by CAST11 Prescott Podcast Network. A Talking Glass Media production.
The City of Flagstaff Sustainability Office is excited to announce the recipients of the 2023 Neighborhood Sustainability Grant cycle. The initiative is a competitive grant program that funds a range of community projects related to food, waste, climate action, resilience, building energy, public health, and transportation with awards up to $5,000.
Awarded projects selected by the Sustainability Commission this year include:
- The Arboretum at Flagstaff – Expansion of the Arboretum’s propagation of native and edible plants to increase resilience, ecological diversity, and pollinator habitat.
- The Arizona 4H Youth Foundation – Implementation of a horticultural therapy program on the W.F. Killip Elementary School campus to provide plant-focused educational opportunities for students.
- Flagstaff Disc Golf Club – Installation of bike racks at both Thorpe Park and McPherson Park disc golf courses to encourage bike transportation.
- Flagstaff Foodlink – Launch of the “Building Community through Food” series, with several workshops and educational events focused on sustainable, local food production.
- Flagstaff Youth Riders – Expansion of the recently completed trail and bike park at Puente de Hózhó with a shaded picnic area.
- Harbert Chapel AME Church – Installation of energy-efficient lighting improvements to support ongoing community services.
- W.F. Killip Elementary School – Expansion of the school’s community greenhouse food production project with equipment for a hydroponic growing system.
- Marco Alatorre – Purchase of a chipper to support community members through collection and diversion of pine needles and small branches to create biochar.
Sunnyside Neighborhood Association – Assistance with the completion of the Market of Dreams remodel.
Townsite Urban Farm – Installation of raised garden beds, rainwater catchment barrels, and educational signage to maximize community food production.
The Sustainability Commission thanks all applicants for their applications this grant cycle. Grant applications are open annually from Sept. 1 through Sept. 30. To learn more, please visit www.flagstaff.az.gov/albertsgrant.
For any related questions, please contact Summer White, Waste Reduction & Food Systems Coordinator at (928) 213-2146 or [email protected].
Read more stories…
To read the original article, go to Click here
Private Internet Access gives you unparalleled access to thousands of next-gen servers in over 83 countries and each US state. Your VPN experience will always be fast, smooth, and reliable.